• Go to website
  • T: +39 041 2750206
  • F: +39 041 721000
  • Email: nat.mus.ve@fmcvenezia.it

Fondaco dei Turchi

Santa Croce 1730

Closed Mondays

Line 1 San Stae stop on the Vaporetti


After trade was opened up between Venice and the Sublime Porte, Turkish merchants took over a palace beside the Grand Canal. It had been built in the 13th centuiry for a merchant from Pesaro, and revamped after a major fire in 1508 in Venetian Byzantine style. As the Fondaco dei Turki, it was the Ottoman enclave in the city, and was used as a warehouse and market as well as a residence for merchants, becoming a kind of Turkish ghetto. It was in use up until 1838, 41 years after Napolean had put an end to the Republic. Today, the four-storey building houses the Museo di Storia Naturale di Venezia (Natural History Museum of Venice), a museum about the wild life of the lagoon, worth visiting for the historic building it inhabits.


Buy the latest issue
Or, browse the back issues here
Issue 57, May 2018 Black Sea Miracle
£ 12.00



If you like this, don't miss..