Contact: Julie Witford
Telephone: +44 (0)1450 379933

Carterhaugh Ba’

Book Launch at Heart of Hawick

December 5, 2021
Sunday at 2.30pm
Tickets £5 online from Heart of Hawick box office or at the door

Towermill Auditorium, Tower Mill Kirkstile Hawick TD9 0AE

Rugby is called rugby because the game was supposedly invented at Rugby School in 1823 during a football match when William Webb Ellis picked up the ball and ran with it. This is unlikely. What is certain is that eight years before, in 1815, Walter Scott, James Hogg and Charles, 4th Duke of Buccleuch, organised a vast game of – what? Probably rugby. The excellent and expert Ian Landles and Billy Gillies have written a brilliant exposition not only of the original match held at the confluence of the Ettrick and Yarrow, they also rejoice in the action replay that took place there in 2015 when Richard, 10th Duke of Buccleuch, began the bicentenary match by throwing the ball in the air – and quickly getting out of the way. Ian and Billy discuss the history and present this beautifully written and illustrated book. A short video by Selkirk filmmaker Frank Brown will be included.

The book will be on sale for £14.95 (Rrp £16.95)
Proceeds from book sales go to The Bill McLaren Foundation.

Contact: Julie Witford
Telephone: +44 (0)1450 379933 ......
More Reading
  • Book
    Carterhaugh Ba’
    By Ian W Landles, Hugh Hornby, and Billy Gillies. Foreword by the Duke of Buccleuch Letter from the Edinburgh Borderers by Rodger Thom, and additional contributions by Brian Renwick, Ian 'Tut' Johnson, Jo Clark and Linda Lawson of the Bill McLaren Foundation
  • Book
    Introduced by Richard, Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry Photographs by Fritz von der Schulenburg

Buy the latest issue
Or browse the back issues here
Issue 64, 2022 30th Anniversary Issue
£ 12.00