Find it

National Museum of Scotland

Chambers Street, Edinburgh, EH1 1JF

Combining the Museum of Scotland with the adjacent Victorian cast-iron and glass Royal Museum, now the Grand Gallery, the museum has had a five year overhaul with new galleries for its Egyptian and East Asian collections, which opened in July 2016. It also has, in its World Galleries, Iznik ware, while its textiles focus on Turkey red, commonly used by Scottish printed cotton manufacturers. Made from the root of rubia tinctorum, the common madder plant, it was introduced to the textile mills of Glasgow and western Scotland in 1785 by a Frenchman, Pierre Jacques Papillon. In France Turkey red was known as rouge d’Andrinople or Edirne red, the Thracian city being famous for its dyes. The last of the manufacturers, The United Turkey Red Company Ltd in the Vale of Leven, Dunbartonshire, closed in 1961.


Buy the latest issue
Or, browse the back issues here
Issue 57, May 2018 Black Sea Miracle
£ 12.00