• T: +90 212 521 1121 ‎
Find it

Church of St Stephen of the Bulgars

Tahta Minare Mh., Mürselpaşa Caddesi 85, Istanbul

In 1870, the Ottoman government allowed the Bulgarians to form their own distinct church outside Greek Orthodoxy, which led to the building of the small but exquisite Bulgarian cathedral in Balat in 1898. Its wedding-cake design blends gothic and baroque motifs but, more interestingly, it is made of iron cast in Austria and shipped down the Danube and through the Black Sea.


Buy the latest issue
Or, browse the back issues here
Issue 57, May 2018 Black Sea Miracle
£ 12.00