- What’s On
SEMINAR presented by ASTENE, the Association for the Study of Travel in Egypt and the Near East, in association with the Faculty of Islamic Studies of the University of Sarajevo.
The speakers will explore many fascinating subjects relevant to travel in the region during the Ottoman period, including:
• travellers to Bosnia, the Balkans and the wider Ottoman world from other parts of Europe and elsewhere
• travellers from the region to other parts of Europe and the Middle East
• pilgrims and pilgrimage within the region
• travel from the Balkans to the holy places of the Middle East, both Muslim and Christian
• artistic and literary representations of the Balkans and other parts of the Ottoman world
• the horticultural legacy of the region
The Seminar follows the successful Travellers in Ottoman Lands: The Botanical Legacy seminar held in Edinburgh in 2017. Further details, including an optional excursion to Mostar on 27 September, and a formal Call for Papers will be available from September 2021. Registration will open in January 2022.